Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Who Are You?



Today a I read and re-read my daily devotional "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young, the same question kept going through my mind. 
"Who Are You?"
Read what Sarah wrote in "Jesus Calling" and hopefully you'll be able to answer that question for yourself.

BEWARE OF SEEING YOURSELF through other people's eyes. There are several dangers to this practice. First of all, it is nearly impossible to discern what others actually think of you. Moreover, their views of you are variable: subject to each viewer's spiritual, emotional, and physical condition. The major problem with letting others define you is that it borders on idolatry. Your concern to please others dampens your desire to please Me, your Creator.
It is much more real to see yourself through My eyes. My gaze upon you is steady and sure, untainted by sin. Through My eyes you can see yourself as one who is deeply, eternally loved. Rest in My loving gaze, and you will receive deep Peace. Respond to My loving Presence by  worshipping Me in spirit and in truth.

As I read this devotion this morning, it was exactly what I needed to hear from the Lord.
"Who Are You?"
I am who I am, because God says that is who I am. I am not what people say or think about me.

So many times we get caught up in trying to please everyone around us, when all that really matters is are we living our lives to please God.
Remember Paul's words: "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." (Gal. 1:10)

Today, may you focus on pleasing God and not men. May you find your true identity in God's view of you and not someone else's.
May you come to understand, that we will all give an account of our lives to God so it is more important to live your life to please God rather than trying to please everyone around you.
God rewards faithfulness!

Hebrews 11:6 An without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

Man pleaser = idolatry.
God pleaser = who I really am.

Who Are You?


No comments: