Thursday, August 12, 2010

Worried?

Do you worry?
Why?
Silly questions, I know.
But seriously, why do we worry?
When we worry about things, we are saying we don't trust God to take care of things.
Remember Jesus words in Matthew 6:25-34?
Go ahead and take a minute to read this passage. I'll wait.....


Pretty clear, isn't it? Jesus simply said, "Don't worry."

We know this truth and yet some many of us still worry.

The other night as I went to bed, I was praying for my son, who I think is stressed and worried about the start of a new school year, and a new chapter in his life.

As I lay in bed praying for him, I prayed, "Lord I don't want him to be stressed or worried." As soon as I prayed those words, I heard the Lord respond to me, "Now you are seeing worry from my point of view. You worry many times and I do not want you to worry or be stressed. I want you to trust me."

Wow! I hadn't ever looked at worry through God's eyes.
Our loving heavenly Father, hurts when we hurt. And we we worry and stress over things. His desire for us is that we would not worry.

Notice what Jesus said in verse 27, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

All worry does is raise or blood pressure, give us a headache, cause other physical problems. But worry doesn't really change anything.

A few weeks ago I heard one of my pastor friends say, "We should hold everything before God with open hands." And then he said this, "When we worry and fret, it's because we've closed our hands on something."

Instead of worrying over things (jobs, promotions, finances, marriages, kids, etc) hold them before God with open hands. letting Him take care of all those things.

Trust him.
Trust means letting go!

"God, I pray today for each one who reads this blog. You know everything about them. You know everything that has them worried or stressed. Father, remind them who You are. Remind them of Your great love for them. And remind them how You have always been faithful and trust worthy. Thank You for never letting us go, but for always holding us in the palm of Your mighty hand. Let today be the end of worry and the start of holding everything before You with open hands and simply trusting You. Amen."

No comments: